Gentlemen: Checkups Are Important at Every Age
It’s a sad fact that 60% of men don’t go to the doctor even if they have a medical concern. The importance of regular doctor visits can’t be overstated, because no matter what age you are there’s always something to talk to your doctor about. This Men’s Health Month let’s explore what should happen at checkups throughout every stage of your life.
Health Screenings in Your 20s
Your 20s are all about the basics and managing risky behavior. Here’s what to expect at your yearly checkup:
- Blood pressure exams
- Vision and dental exams
- Regular STD testing
- Alcohol and drug screenings
- Your first colon cancer screening isn’t a bad idea at this age, either
Health Screenings in Your 30s
Your 30s are a good time to be proactive about health issues that may begin rearing their head going forward.
- The tests from your 20s continue.
- You will have your first EKG around the age of 30.
- More extensive blood tests, like screening for diabetes.
- Again, being proactive about colon cancer testing can set a good standard as you look toward your 40s.
Health Screenings in Your 40s
Cardiovascular tests become commonplace as you move into your 40s. Cancer screenings also become a higher priority.
- Along with colon cancer testing, your doctor will recommend checking your prostate every year.
- For smokers, regular lung screenings will begin in your mid 40s.
- Begin testosterone screening if appropriate.
- Cholesterol monitoring becomes a priority in your mid 40s as well.
Health Screenings in Tour 50s
During your 50s, your proactive screenings begin to become more regular.
- Regular physicals become the norm to catch any issues moving forward.
- Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Screens for depression may become common.
- Diabetes testing is always a good idea at this stage in your life.
- Vision and hearing also become a concern, so expect yearly tests.
- Colon and prostate cancer screenings continue, and screenings become more frequent.
Health Screenings in Tour 60s
Screenings during your 60s will help you ease into a healthy retirement.
- Osteoporosis tests occur yearly.
- Regular Alzheimer’s and dementia screenings ensure your mental health.
- Your doctor will continue to screen your colon, prostate and lungs for cancer annually.
Whether you’re in your 20s or your 60s, your continued health rests on regular visits to the doctor’s office. Community has networks all across central Indiana, so we’re just around the corner for a quick checkup. Get into a routine that will keep you informed about your body this Men’s Health Month, and all those to come.