Questions About Hip and Knee Pain
We encourage our patients to ask their physician and joint care coordinator many questions about joint pain. Review this list of common questions to ask yourself and your physician.
Questions to ask yourself
- Do you have chronic joint pain every day?
- Does this joint pain prevent restful sleep?
- Does this pain cause you to trip and fall?
- Are household items hard to reach and pick up because of your joint pain?
Questions to ask your physician
These questions and many more about hip and knee replacement surgery will be answered during your pre-op class.
- Is joint replacement the best treatment for me right now, at my age?
- What are the risks and complications?
- Is there a lot of pain after surgery and during the rehab period?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- If I have joint replacement surgery, is it a lifetime solution or will I need to have another surgery?
- Will the chronic pain I have in that joint go away?
- Is there anything I can do before the surgery to make this surgery more successful?
- How will I able to manage the steps at my house?
- Do I need to lose weight before surgery?
- Do I need to stop smoking to have this surgery?
- What will I need to change in my house to accommodate rehab?
- When will I return to work or my normal activities?
- How soon can I drive a car after surgery?
- Will I be able to walk when I leave the hospital?
- Do I need to stop taking any medicines before my surgery?
- When do I need to stop eating or drinking?