Celebrating 30 years of patient care at Community North
Thirty years ago on June 12, 1985, Community Health Network embarked on a journey to provide greater access to healthcare for northeast side residents by opening Community Hospital North. Through this vision, Community North has grown into the largest campus in the network to include multiple medical office buildings, Community’s Behavioral Health Pavilion, a cancer center and Community Heart and Vascular Hospital. Learn more >>
- Community North opened with 100-bed acute care inpatient capacity, emergency department, inpatient and outpatient surgery and support services.
- 125-bed Behavioral Care Pavilion moved to Community North campus from Community Hospital East.
- 7250 Clearvista Drive professional building opened.
- Family rooms opened, Indianapolis’ first single room maternity care, or LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum) rooms with normal and special care nursery.
- 8180 Clearvista Parkway professional building opened.
- 8101 and 8103 Clearvista Drive professional building opened.
- Indiana Surgery Center North (today, Community Surgery Center North), joint venture with physicians, opened.
- 8040 Clearvista Drive professional building opened.
- Community Hospital North expansion opened:
- 19 LDRP suites.
- 24-bed intensive care unit (ICU)/progressive care unit (PCU) opened.
- Expansion of two large surgical suites plus expanded preop/recovery area.
- Imaging expansion with permanent CT, MRI, SPECT, and upgraded ultrasound and general x-ray.
- Emergency department expanded (more than doubling its size).
- Indiana Surgery Center Noblesville (today, Community Surgery Center Hamilton), joint venture with physicians, opened.
- Expanded imaging services with additional CT, MRI and ultrasound capabilities.
- Increased NICU beds to 19.
- Community Health Pavilion Carmel opened at 119th Street and Meridian Street in Carmel.
- The Indiana Heart Hospital (today, Community Heart and Vascular Hospital), the world's first all-digital hospital, opened with 56 inpatient beds, 32 day/outpatient beds, and full service heart emergency department.
- Carmel Sleep/Wake Disorders Center opened with four suites.
- New physician lounge and health information management area opened.
- Four new operating rooms opened in expanded surgery area.
- Daybeds unit opened with 10 beds.
- Pediatric unit opened.
- Inpatient surgical care unit opened.
- Pediatric Sleep/Wake Disorders Center opened with four suites.
- Bamboo Café opened.
- Grand opening celebration for The Next Evolution of Community Hospital North expansion project.
- Newly constructed 42-bed private room NICU opened.
- Largest maternity unit in the country opened with 60 private patient suites.
- State-of-the-art Community Spine Center opened.
- Pediatric hospitalist program started.
- Inpatient pharmacy implemented barcode-driven medication ordering, storage, and dispensing technology.
- MedCheck Express opened in Fishers and Noblesville.
- Community Hospital North became the first hospital in the state and one of the first nationwide to implement sterile product compounding robotics.
- Center for Joint Health opened on the ortho/neuro/spine unit, featuring 12 private suites and physical therapy gym.
- Centricity Admin, a barcode-driven medication charting system, was implemented in all inpatient areas.
- PCU expanded from 12 to 32 beds. ICU then expanded.
- Dedicated breast surgeons in the north and south markets integrated with Community to form Community Breast Care.
- Ortho/neuro/spine unit (ONS) started performing Video EEG (VEEG) studies.
- Interventional radiology (IR) suite opened.
- No One Dies Alone (NODA) program started.
- Community Breast Care granted full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons.
- Plans announced for a new Community Cancer Center North, a $60 million, 3-story, 104,000 square foot facility that will be connected to the hospital.