Health Tip: Run Smart, Run Safe
(HealthDay News) -- The next time you go for a run or jog, staying safe should be your first concern.
The Road Runners Club of America offers these safety tips:
- Don't wear headphones, which can reduce awareness of your surroundings.
- Always run against traffic.
- Follow all traffic signals and rules. Look both ways before crossing, making sure drivers acknowledge you.
- Carry ID with you, or label the inside of your running shoes with your ID and medical information, including blood type.
- Wear reflective gear when running at dusk, dawn or night.
- Carry a phone and a noisemaker.
- Run with a buddy, and vary your usual route in familiar areas.
- Tell loved ones where you will be running. Avoid isolated or overgrown areas.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.