Health Tip: Promote Fine Motor Skills in Preschoolers
(HealthDay News) -- By 3 years of age, children should master concentration skills and the muscle control necessary to make precise movements with their fingers.
The American Academy of Pediatrics says parents can help achieve these milestones by letting their children:
- Play with building blocks.
- Put together simple jigsaw puzzles of four to five pieces.
- Practice with pegboards, or placing large beads onto strings.
- Practice pouring a container of water into cups or other containers of different sizes.
- Use chalk or crayons to color.
- Build sandcastles.
- Practice buttoning, zipping, lacing and snapping on large dolls.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.