Health Tip: Be Safe at the Beach
(HealthDay News) -- When your family is headed to the beach for some fun in the sun, it's a good idea to go over a few basic safety rules to keep everyone safe.
The American Academy of Pediatrics lists these safety rules when you're at the beach:
- Ward off dehydration by making sure everyone in the family drinks plenty of water (or other drinks without carbonation or alcohol) before they feel thirsty.
- Make sure everyone swims only in designated swim areas and within eyesight of a lifeguard.
- Never allow anyone to swim alone.
- Don't swim in rip currents; make sure all family members know if they are caught in a rip current to swim parallel to the shore and not against the current.
- If it starts to storm, head away from the beach and seek shelter.
- Pay attention to traffic if the beach allows cars.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.