Sleep center lab test
Sleep study patient forms
Overnight and daytime testing is performed on an outpatient basis at one of our Sleep/Wake Disorders Center locations. Patients are monitored in comfortable private bedrooms that resemble upscale hotel rooms. Special equipment will record information about brain waves, breathing, heart rate and oxygen level while the patient sleeps. The measuring devices do not cause any discomfort or disrupt sleep.
Virtual tour of a sleep lab room
Click to see room
On the day of your test
- Bring your usual sleeping attire and personal items (books, magazines, videos, etc.) you would like.
- Remain awake the day of the study.
- Do NOT drink alcoholic beverages or beverages with caffeine (coffee, tea, soft drinks, etc.) the day of the study.
- If you take prescription medications, please bring them with you, in original containers, so they may be taken on schedule.
- Please bathe and shampoo your hair before coming to the sleep center. Do NOT put any conditioners, hair spray or oils on your hair so electrodes may be applied to scalp.
- Please have your evening meal before arriving for the sleep study.
- You will need to register at the Emergency Room/Outpatient Registry. You should arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
What to expect
- When you arrive, the sleep center technician will apply several electrodes and sensors to your head and other parts of your body. This process will take a little time, so you will not be able to go to bed as soon as you arrive.
- You will be allowed to go to sleep in a private room. The technician will be present all night to monitor breathing, heart rate, brain wave activity and body movements during sleep.
- TV and radio are not allowed once the test has begun.
- The actual test will be a minimum of six hours.
- After the sleep study is completed, you will be able to leave, if no other testing has been scheduled.
- Shower facilities are available. Please bring soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.
- If you are staying for a daytime test, breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Your test results will be analyzed by a neurologist or pulmonologist. The results will be sent to the physician who referred you to the center.
Sleep test results
The results will be sent to the referring physician approximately two weeks after the test.
Note: When you receive your billing for these tests, you will receive two statements. The hospital bill includes charges for technicians, equipment and supplies. The physician bill includes charges for the supervision and interpretation of the test results.
Most insurance companies cover sleep-disorder testing under the Outpatient Diagnostic Testing portion of their policy. Please call your insurance company regarding your personal coverage. Feel free to inquire when scheduling your appointment.
Need to reschedule or cancel?
If you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 317-355-4682. 48 hours notice is appreciated so your appointment time can be filled.
If you have any questions regarding the test or your appointment, please call the sleep lab at which you were seen.