Community Hospital North bariatric services offers a variety of support groups and exercise classes for pre-op and post-op weight loss surgery patients. The groups are led by members of the bariatric services team to provide additional support for patients undergoing lifestyle changes before and after bariatric surgery, including adjustable gastric banding, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve procedures.
Groups are held at Community Hospital North and Community Hospital Anderson. Exercise classes are held at Community Hospital North in suite 210 (second floor). Please check the calendar for monthly bariatric support group and exercise class dates, times and locations as well as class/group descriptions. For questions, please call 317-621-7771.
Who: All bariatric patients are welcome!
What: Fun exercise classes including strength training and cardio geared toward bariatric patients. We have two class options available!
- Level One - This low-intensity 45-minute class is geared toward patients who are just beginning an exercise program and have issues with mobility. Participants will not be required to get on the floor, and we can accommodate patients that need to be seated for most of the class.
- Level Two - This moderately intense 60-minute class is geared toward patients who have been exercising on their own, or are looking for a little bit of a challenge. Participants will be asked to get on the floor at the end of class for core exercises.
- Level One - Monday at 4:30 p.m., Wednesday evenings at 5 p.m.
- Level Two - Monday at 5:30 p.m., Wednesday evenings at 6 p.m.
Where: 7250 building on Community Hospital North campus, Suite 210
Community Bariatric Surgeons knows the importance of support in your overall success. Studies show patients who attend support groups have greater excess weight loss than those who do not. Join program staff and other weight loss surgery patients in group discussions and educational events on a weekly basis. Check our calendar for an exact listing of topics, dates and times.
Anderson support group
When: First and third Wednesday from 5 to 6 p.m.
Where: Community Hospital Anderson Education Center, 1923 N. Madison Avenue, Anderson, IN 46012
Program facilitators: Our dietitians and Nicole Hersberger, surgery scheduler, facilitate on a rotating basis.
North evening support group
- First Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
- Support group facilitated by registered dietitian
- Second Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
- New patient - 2 years: Facilitated by our registered dietitian and will address the needs of new patients in our program.
- Two years $#43;: Facilitated by our licensed clinical social worker and will address the needs of further post-op patients.
- Third Tuesday at 5 p.m.
- Combined group facilitated by registered dietitian
- Fourth Tuesday at 6 p.m.
- Couples group: This group is for a bariatric surgery patient and their partner. It is required to bring your partner to this group.
Where: Community Hospital North. Rooms vary based on availability; please check schedule.
Program facilitators: Program dietitians and licensed clinical social worker
North daytime support group
When: Fourth Wednesday
Where: Community Hospital North Bariatric Clinic (suite 210)
Topic/time: New patient group @ 11 a.m. This group is for patients 0-6 months post-op only.
Topic/time: All patient group @ noon. This group is for any pre- or post-op patient.
Program facilitators: Program dietitians