Play it safe by the pool
Cooling off by the water this summer? It's a great way to get out and enjoy the warm days and catch some vitamin D. Just remember, play it safe by the pool. Here are some tips for water safety:
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Use the buddy system. Do not allow anyone to swim alone.
- Never leave a young child unattended near water.
- Teach children to ask permission before they go near water.
- Wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices if you are an inexperienced swimmer.
- Know the depth of the water. Diving in shallow water can result in spinal cord injuries.
Don't forget the sunblock. Protect your skin from burns and sun poisoning. Look for water-proof, broad spectrum protection and reapply often.
Water safety is a summer must. For more water safety tips, visit the American Red Cross website.