Eat healthy at your next cookout
Headed to a summer cookout? You don't have to ditch your healthy eating habits to enjoy the festivities.
- Don’t show up to the event starving. You’ll be more likely to overeat.
- Don’t feel like you have to try a bite of everything. Go for your absolute favorites and skip the rest.
- Focus on filling at least half of your plate with fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Swap a white hamburger or hot dog bun for a whole-grain one.
- Instead of eating a salad drenched in mayo, try one dressed in a vinaigrette.
- Swap mayo on your sandwich for a low-calorie condiment, like mustard.
- Sit far away from the food while visiting with friends so you're not tempted to graze.
- Don’t mingle in the kitchen or by the buffet table.
- Go for a run or walk before attending a cookout.
- Don’t drink your calories – stick to water if you can. If you are drinking alcohol limit yourself to two drinks.