10 reasons to breastfeed
Here are ten somewhat amusing, but totally serious reasons to consider breastfeeding:
- Many intelligent people think it’s a good idea to breastfeed, including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Dietetic Association and the World Health Organization.
- These smart people must have been breastfed because breastfed infants have, on average, an additional seven IQ points.
- Breastfeeding requires that you consume an additional 500 calories per day. So, enjoy!
- Go shopping! Use the $700 to $3,000 you’ll save by not buying formula to purchase shoes, cameras, baby supplies…you name it!
- Be a model employee. Miss fewer days of work. Breastfed infants are less likely to develop upper respiratory infections, allergies, ear infections and diarrhea. This means that you are less likely to change multiple dirty diapers while missing work.
- Breastmilk is fast food. It’s always ready, with no preparation necessary. It’s just the right temperature and there’s no need to wash bottles or nipples.
- Flat stomach? No problem! Breastfeeding releases a hormone that causes your uterus to contract back to its original size.
- Don’t be a statistic. Breastfeeding lowers the risk of obesity for baby and mom.
- All joking aside…breastfeeding provides your baby with protection against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, childhood leukemia and Type 1 diabetes.
- Mothers who breastfeed have a decreased risk of osteoporosis as well as breast, ovarian and endometrial cancers.