Statistics of Stroke
Consider the following statistics regarding strokes:
- Stroke is the third largest cause of death, ranking behind diseases of the heart and all forms of cancer.
- Almost every 40 seconds in the United States, a person experiences a stroke.
- Over 4 million US adults live today with the effects of a stroke.
- The American Stroke Association, a division of the American Heart Association, estimates strokes cost the US 65.5 billion in 2008.
- Women account for about 6 in 10 stroke deaths.
- Each year about 780,000 people suffer a new or recurrent stroke in the US.
- Stroke accounts for about 1 out of every 16 deaths in the US.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Cardiovascular Disease