Therapy Observation/Shadowing Experience
Shadowing is an observation experience that allows you to observe a physical therapist, occupational therapist or speech language pathologist in his or her work setting. This experience is usually less than 4 hours and you will not be allowed to participate in any "hands on" experience. Under special circumstances the experience may be longer than 4 hours. The participant is always under the direct supervision of a Community Health Network employee.
- All participants must provide proof of immunization or titer for Mumps, Rubella, Rubeola and Varicella (chickenpox), proof of an influenza vaccine (i.e., “flu shot”) during the current influenza season, and documentation of negative tuberculosis (TB) skin test and/or x-ray during the prior 12 months from date of observation.
- Copy of photo ID.
- Completed/signed Health Career Observation Application.
- The minimum age is 16 and a junior in high school. Any person under the age of 18 must have parental permission.
- Participant must comply with the dress code.
- Application and additional paperwork must be completed online - with documents scanned in or attached where appropriate - no later than one week prior to requested date of experience.
- If you would like documentation of this observation experience, please print the Certificate of Observation Hours form and present it to your therapist upon arrival. They will not have copies of this form so please remember to bring it.
The director of the requested department will accept or decline all requests for observation.
Due to the extreme vulnerability of our patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), no requests for observation can be granted.
- Complete this online application.
- Be sure you upload your photo ID and proof of ALL required immunizations and complete all required fields on the application.
- If the participant is under the age of 18, a parental consent form needs to be signed and scanned to rehabstudents@eCommunity.com.
- We will contact you via e-mail for any questions. Please check your e-mail frequently to facilitate the process.
- Prior to your experience read critical information for observation experience (dress code, tips, handwashing).