Underserved Populations Track
Selected residents will receive special training in caring for underserved populations in a Federally Qualified Health Center under the guidance of a physician expert.
Innovative education for the future family physician
At Community Hospital East's Family Medicine Residency, we are committed to designing a residency program of the future that will prepare you to practice in the patient-centered medical home (PCMH).
In July 2012, we implemented our innovative PCMH modular curriculum. The principles guiding our curriculum are as follows:
- The majority of learning should occur in the PCMH (Family Medicine Center and Jane Pauley Community Health Center), starting from day one of residency.
- Family physicians are the best educators for family medicine. Specialists have a supporting role, but not the primary role in your education.
- Patients come first. You will be available in the office to care for your patients on a regular basis starting from your first week of residency.
- High yield learning experiences will be emphasized; low yield shadowing type rotations will be eliminated. We will maximize your residency experience!
- Learning will be longitudinal. Organ-based block rotations will no longer be the cornerstone of educational experiences.
- Teams play an important role in healthcare and in your residency training. You will participate in team-based quality improvement projects and patient care management sessions. You will work alongside your team members during your modules.
- The amount of time in the clinic varies by rotation, but not your year of training. You have equal access for your patients all three years.
Rotations are longitudinal and not in a block format. For more details on the curriculum, and to see sample schedules for the 2018-2019 academic year, click the Sample Schedules button.
|PGY 1||PGY 2||PGY 3|
|Inpatient Adult Medicine||8 weeks||5 weeks||5 weeks|
|Inpatient OB||5 weeks||2 weeks|
|Night Float||8 weeks||6 weeks||3 weeks|
|ER||4 weeks||4 weeks||2 weeks|
|Sports Medicine/Ortho||2 weeks||4 weeks||2 weeks|
|Outpatient OB/GYN||2 weeks||2 weeks||2 weeks|
|Outpatient Peds||4 weeks||4 weeks||2 weeks|
|Behavioral Health||2 weeks||2 weeks||2 weeks|
|General Surgery||2 weeks|
|Surgical Subspecialty||2 weeks|
|Practice Management||3 weeks||1 week||2 weeks|
|Inpatient Peds||4 weeks||3 weeks|
|Intersession||2 weeks||2 weeks||2 weeks|
|Medical Subspecialty||4 weeks||8 weeks||10 weeks|
|Elective||6 weeks||14 weeks|
|Outpatient Medicine Mentorship||2 weeks||2 weeks|
*4 weeks of vacation taken from eligible rotations each year.