Selecting quality health care services for yourself, a relative or friend requires special thought and attention. Knowing what to look for and what to ask will help you choose a facility that provides quality care and best meets your needs. While we believe that Community Howard Regional Health can and will address the majority of the needs of your family and loved ones, we know that you may not always have the opportunity to choose the hospital from which you receive care, especially in an emergency. However, when you or a loved one has a planned admission to the hospital, obtaining some important information first can help make your hospital experience a positive one.
- Is Community Howard Regional Health conveniently located? Can you and your family get here easily for scheduled as well as emergency medical care? If you live in North Central Indiana, the answer is no doubt yes.
- Is Community Howard Regional accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting body, such as The Joint Commission? The answer is yes. Joint Commission accreditation means that we voluntarily sought accreditation and met national health and safety standards. The Joint Commission provides on-site surveys to review the hospital's medical and nursing care, physical condition, life safety program, special care units, pharmaceutical services, infection control procedures and a number of other areas affecting patient care.
- Does Community Howard Regional have a written description of its services and fees? What resources does the hospital provide to help you find financial assistance if you need it? We provide this to our patients.
Questions about your specific needs
- Do the services and specialties provided by Community Howard Regional meet your specific medical needs? Do you have a medical condition requiring specialized attention? Do you know our success record in carrying out the specific medical procedure you need? Talk about this with your physician.
- What is the training of the doctor who will perform the procedure? If this isn't your primary care physician, he or she should be able to give you information about any specialists to whom you have been referred.
- Does the hospital explain the patient's rights and responsibilities? A copy of our patient rights and responsibilities information is readily available to you.
- Do you know who is responsible for maintaining your personal care plan? How are the caregivers kept informed about your specific care needs? Please discuss this with your physician.
- Will you or your family be kept up-to-date on your medical care? Communication between caregivers, patients and family is a priority at Community Howard Regional Health.
Questions about discharge planning
- Will a discharge plan be developed for you before you leave the hospital? It will. Ask what services are available and what your primary care doctor's involvement will be.
- Does Community Howard Regional provide you with the necessary training to continue your care in your home after you have been discharged? Ask what training is provided in changing bandages, taking medications or using medical equipment or devices. We will provide you with easy-to-understand written instructions.
Learn more about Community Howard Regional Health