The first heart surgery at Community Health Network was performed more than 40 years ago. Today, we continue to expand our cardiovascular services and create an enduring history of outstanding cardiac care.
From the first coronary care unit in 1966 to the 2003 opening of The Indiana Heart Hospital to today’s state-of-the-art Community Heart and Vascular Hospital, we are world-class leaders in heart and vascular care in Central Indiana.
The first Coronary Care Unit is opened.
The first cardiac catheterization laboratory is opened.
The first open heart surgery is performed.
The first balloon angioplasty is performed.
Cardiovascular Community Health Awareness Services program is established – a public education program about diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
First in the state to implement a Chest Pain Emergency Unit for rapid diagnosis, treatment and education about heart disease.
Cardiovascular research implemented through Community Medical Research Institute.
- First intracoronary ultrasound performed.
- First annual cardiovascular symposium “Bridges to the Future,” an educational offering of management strategies for primary health care providers.
- Performed first investigational laser-assisted angioplasty.
Performed the first stent procedure.
Initiated the minimally invasive program for heart surgery patients with the Minimally Invasive Direct Coronary Artery Bypass (MIDCAB) procedure.
- Initiated minimally-invasive vein harvesting for heart surgery patients.
- Initiated the Healthy Hearts Center, the largest outpatient clinic for care and rehabilitation of patients with chronic cardiac diseases. At that time, the center included the following clinics:
- Congestive Heart Failure Clinic
- Anticoagulation Clinic
- Pre-admission Clinic
Initiated full revascularization using beating heart techniques, without the need of the heart/lung machine.
Expanded the Healthy Hearts Center to include the Lipid Clinic.
Community Health Network announces it will open The Indiana Heart Hospital on its north campus in late 2002.
The Indiana Heart Hospital opens its doors on the campus of Community Hospital North.
The Indiana Heart Hospital celebrates five years of patient care.
The Indiana Heart Hospital, over 30 cardiovascular physicians and Community Health Network created Community Heart and Vascular, the first integrated model for cardiovascular care in central Indiana.
- The Indiana Heart Hospital is renamed Community Heart and Vascular Hospital to further align with the Community Health Network family.
- Community Heart and Vascular launches the Cardiovascular Genetic Center of Excellence, the first program of its kind in Indiana.