Health Tip: Take Care of Mold Problems
(HealthDay News) -- Promptly and thoroughly cleaning up mold can help prevent health problems associated with breathing contaminated air.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency lists these suggestions for properly cleaning up mold:
- Promptly take care of any plumbing leaks or problems with the walls; make sure anything that gets wet is thoroughly dried.
- Use detergent and water to scrub mold off of any surfaces; make sure to dry them thoroughly.
- Consider throwing away porous materials such as carpet or ceiling tiles that have gotten wet, because it can be difficult to completely remove mold.
- Limit your exposure to the mold when cleaning it up.
- Do not paint or caulk over moldy areas.
- Consider consulting a specialist to clean up mold in challenging areas or on valuable items.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.