Observation and shadowing on hold due to influenza restrictions
December 15, 2014—In accordance with hospital visitor restrictions due to influenza outbreak, no observation or shadowing requests from non-employees will be accepted until further notice. Please check back for more information.
Shadowing is an observation experience that allows you to observe a healthcare worker in his or her work setting. This experience is usually less than 4 hours and you will not be allowed to participate in any "hands on" experience. Under special circumstances the experience may be longer than 4 hours. The participant is always under the direct supervision of a Community Health Network employee.
Requirements for participating in an observational experience
- All participants must show evidence of proof of immunization or titer for Mumps, Rubella, Rubeola and Varicella (chickenpox). In addition, proof of an influenza vaccine (ie, “flu shot”) during the current influenza season.
- The minimum age is 16 and a junior in high school. Any person under the age of 18 must have parental permission.
- Participant must comply with the dress code.
- Application and additional paperwork must be faxed no later than one week prior to requested date of experience.
The director of the requested department will accept or decline all requests for observation.
Due to the extreme vulnerability of our patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), no requests for observation can be granted.
For all nursing observations
- Download, print and complete this application packet. (Note: You'll need Adobe Reader to view forms.)
- Print all consents and sign.
- If the participant is under the age of 18, a parental consent form needs to be signed.
- Obtain all necessary immunization documentation and include with application packet and consents.
- Fax all the forms to 317-351-5483 no later than one week prior to experience.
- No handwritten applications will be accepted.
- We will contact you via e-mail for any questions. Please check your e-mail frequently to facilitate the process.
- Prior to your experience read critical information for observation experience (dress code, tips, handwashing).
- For additional questions about nursing observations: Please call 317-355-4885.
For all other non-nursing observation experiences
Call 317-621-7036 to inquire about arrangements.
Additional information about a career in nursing can be found at Indiana Center for Nursing (ICN). ICN is an educational organization that supports registered nursing careers. Learn more at www.ic4n.org.