On the day of your digestive health procedure, follow all instructions given to you by your physician. If you have any questions concerning your procedure, please call your physician.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing.
- Leave all valuables and jewelry at home.
- Plan to arrive 45 minutes prior to your procedure. This allows time for you to register and be admitted to the endoscopy department.
- Register at outpatient registration.
- A registered nurse (R.N.) will obtain a thorough health history, start an IV and provide procedural education.
What to bring
- Any written orders and instructions from your physician
- A friend or relative to drive you home after your procedure
- Medications, including prescriptions, herbal medications and diet drugs
- Glasses (bring your case)
After your procedure
- You will stay in your private recovery room for up to an hour.
- We will monitor your blood pressure, pulse and respirations as well as watch you for any complications relating to your procedure.
- When you can tolerate oral fluids, your IV will be discontinued and your recovery nurse will provide instructions concerning your post-procedural diagnosis and diet.
- You family member/driver may stay with you in your room. We recommend a family member or friend sit in on your discussion with the physician regarding your results.
- Your physician will provide you with information regarding your diet, activity, medications, pain, follow-up appointments and returning to work.
- It is very important that you follow your home care instructions. Call your doctor for any questions or problems regarding your procedure.
- Due to the effects of conscious sedation, you should not drive a car, operate machinery, make important decisions or drink any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours following your procedure.
- Our nursing staff will call within four days of your discharge to answer any questions you may have and ensure that you were satisfied with the services you received.
- Be sure to schedule a post-procedural appointment with your doctor if indicated.