Welcome to Hook Rehabilitation Center!
Your rehab team wants your stay to be as comfortable as possible. You will find, however, that the daily routine on rehab is different than what you may have experienced during other hospital stays.
Preparing for your stay, therapy planning and scheduling
When you arrive here, a nursing assessment will be initiated. Within 24 hours, a therapy evaluation will be done for each of the therapies involved in your rehab plan. Depending on the time you arrive, therapy might begin on the day you are admitted.
- Each night, you will be given a therapy schedule with the times and therapies for the following day.
- Therapy may start as early as 7:30 a.m. and may end as late as 4:30 p.m. Staff will assist you as needed, and transportation will be provided to and from therapy.
- Therapy sessions are sometimes shorter on the weekends to allow you time to rest and visit with your loved ones.
- We believe it’s essential for family caregivers to observe, learn about and participate in your care.
What to bring
While you’re at Hook Rehab, you’ll need many of the same things that you use at home.
- Please bring several changes of comfortable clothing that are easy to put on and take off, such as pants with elastic waists, T-shirts, sweatshirts, socks, underwear, pajamas and shoes with non-skid soles. Please also include a light jacket or sweater.
- We have a washer and dryer here, and your family may use them to launder your clothes. Laundry soap is provided. As part of your therapy, you may be encouraged to do your own laundry.
- Please bring your glasses, hearing aids and a list of contact phone numbers.
- Cell phones are allowed on the acute unit. On the brain injury unit, cell phones are allowed only on a case-by-case basis.
- Cell phones are not to be taken to therapy. If you are on the phone when therapy or nursing staff are trying to work with you, we ask that you hang up and return the phone call when your medications, treatments and therapies have been completed.
- Since we cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items, please do not bring valuable items with you.
Meals and menus
Printed menus will be given to you each day. You will be asked to circle your meal choices for the following day.
- Assistance in filling out menus will be provided if needed. Depending on your diet, you may occasionally “write in” some food or beverage choices.
- Meals are served at the same times each day, and therapies are coordinated with meal times so you won’t miss or be late for a meal.
- We encourage all patients to eat their meals at one of the tables in the patient dining rooms.
- Please check with nursing staff when snacks and foods are brought in so they can be stored and labeled properly. Foods brought in from the outside must be allowed on your prescribed diet.
Visiting hours are between the end of therapy and 8:30 p.m.
- Family members are not permitted to stay all night on the units.
- With an order from your doctor, you may leave the unit with family to visit the gift shop, courtyard, cafeteria, or other areas of the building. Please get approval from staff before leaving the unit.
- Passes outside of the hospital may be issued based on physician and rehab team recommendations. These passes help you practice what you have learned in therapy. Family teaching, such as how to safely perform a car transfer, must take place prior to any pass.
Length of stay and discharge
Your length of stay is determined by a number of factors, for example, your progress towards your goals and your insurance approval. You and your family, rehab team, and the physician also play a role in determining the appropriate length of stay.
- Education and training is ongoing during your rehab stay. By the time you are discharged, you will have received needed information regarding how to carry over skills learned in therapy, medication management, diet and equipment needs. Follow-up doctor visits and outpatient therapies or home health care will also be arranged.
We're here to help you succeed!
Providing the best care possible is very important to us. We hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to helping you achieve your goals!