Diabetes and pregnancy
The Diabetes Care Center offers management support to diabetic patients who are pregnant and patients who develop gestational diabetes. Nurse practitioners specialized in diabetes care provide regular monitoring of mothers-to-be between visits to the obstetrician. Patients are monitored from the time of their referral until after the baby is born.
The Diabetes Care Center makes every attempt to make the first appointment within 24 to 48 hours of the referral. Patients learn how to manage their disease through diet or with insulin. Nurse practitioners monitor glucose levels and make adjustments as necessary. Weekly blood sugar surveillance is handled by telephone, giving the patient continuous care from the comfort of her home.
- Nutritional counseling, glucose monitoring
- Weekly management during pregnancy
- Insulin initiation as needed
- Phone management, blood sugar surveillance every three to five days
- Postpartum follow-up for weight control
- Free glucose meter