Written by on 4/29/2015 6:00:00 AM
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 green onions, finely chopped continue reading ...
Written by on 4/22/2015 6:00:00 AM
Did you know that cardiovascular disease —including heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure—is the number 1 killer of women and men in the United States? It's time to show yourself some love and learn about your risks for heart disease and stroke in order to stay "heart healthy" for yourself and your loved ones.
Here are some prevention tips to help you lead a heart-healthy life:continue reading ...
Written by on 4/20/2015 6:00:00 AM
Following a healthy lifestyle can help prevent obesity. Making healthy choices each day will keep you and your loved ones at a healthy weight.
- Make healthy food choices. Eat fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains. Avoid fast food, processed food, frozen food and artificial flavors when possible.
- Watch portion sizes. The portions served at restaurants are often are enough for two or three people. Children's portion sizes should be smaller than those for adults.
- Be active. Get up and moving whenever possible. Go for a brisk walk, bike or rollerblade, or run. continue reading ...
Written by on 4/17/2015 6:00:00 AM
Exercise can get boring if you repeat the same regiment each time you hit the gym. Don't be afraid to shake things up and try something new!
Body weight training is a big fitness trend in 2015. Lunges, squats, push-ups and other body weight exercises are an affordable and effective way to strength train. It’s a back-to-basics exercise program ideal for powering up your at-home workouts.
Group training is personal training with friends. You still enjoy individual attention but at a lower cost. And the social side of group fitness keeps things fun. If you’ve had trouble sticking to your fitness goals, you may succeed with group training. It’s difficult to skip a workout when others are counting on you. continue reading ...
Written by on 4/15/2015 6:00:00 AM
What is one of the most powerful weapons you can wield in the fight against cancers, heart diseases, unwanted weight gain, gastrointestinal maladies and more? You…cooking food at home.
Your oven, your stovetop, your knives, your cutting board, your pots and pans, your fun gadgets and tools—they are an important part of your healthcare team! Cooking is meant to be a joy. continue reading ...