Written by on 11/21/2014 6:00:00 AM
What you'll need: Yourself and a desk
Muscles worked: Chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps and abdominals
Start with your hands shoulder width apart on the edge of a desk or table. Straighten your knees back so you are balanced on your toes. Slowly bend your elbows, keeping your legs straight and perform a pushup. Return to the starting position.
Perform three sets of 12-15 push ups throughout the work day. For a more advanced version, perform this basic push up on the floor.
Written by on 11/19/2014 6:00:00 AM
The holidays are a time to indulge in festive foods and treats, but it can lead to feeling unhealthy and sluggish. Try these tips to help you enjoy the food without overindulging:
- Keep up your regular physical activity and make sure to get in a good workout on the day of the party or event.
- Be active! Start up a backyard football game. Go for a walk or bike ride.
- Be super-diligent on non-party days by sticking closely to your eating plan.
- Don’t show up to the party hungry. Eat a small, nutritious snack before leaving for the party to curb cravings and avoid overindulging.
- Offer to bring a healthy dish, one you know you can enjoy without lots of extra calories.
- Wear a comfortable yet tight outfit that will not allow you to overindulge. continue reading ...
Written by on 11/17/2014 6:00:00 AM
Spending quality time with your family can be just as good for your health as eating right and exercising. Here are 10 activities to do with your family Thanksgiving Day!
- Do a “Turkey Trot” run or walk.
- Watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Play touch football.
- Have a mini pumpkin hunt. (Hide pumpkins throughout the house and award people prizes for finding them.)
- Research your family tree. continue reading ...
Written by on 11/14/2014 6:00:00 AM
After a long day of sitting at work it can be hard to motivate yourself to get to the gym. Try these tips to get yourself in the workout mood before the clock strikes five.
- Turn your fitness goals into office décor. Post images or quotes associated with your goals around your workspace.
- Eat breakfast. Set yourself up for workout success by starting your day with a nutritious and energizing breakfast. A solid breakfast includes a protein, a fruit or veggie and a complex carb like whole grain toast.
- Keep lunch light. Avoid a heavy lunch that will put you into an afternoon food coma. Try to avoid refined carbs or lots of sugar that will cause you to crash later. Instead, eat a wrap or salad with vegetables, protein and complex carbs. continue reading ...
Written by on 11/12/2014 6:00:00 AM
It can be easy to get distracted in a grocery store. Even with a list, it's possible to stray towards packaged foods and frozen treats. Aim to shop around the perimeter of the store and follow these tips to leave with a grocery cart full of healthy foods:
For personalized meal tips and health plans, consult one of our dietitians or health coaches by calling 877.445.2584.
- Have at least five different colors in your cart. Grab fresh veggies and fruits to brighten your cart.
- If you purchase packaged foods, they should contain fewer than four ingredients.
- Treats should be limited to a single serving.
- Carbohydrates, like bread or pasta, should be 100 percent whole-grain.
- Frozen meals should stay in the frozen aisle. Avoid these as much as possible - they're high in sodium and preservatives.
- Water, coffee and tea should dominate your beverage choices. Avoid sugary drinks like canned soda and fruit juices.