Written by on 9/1/2014 6:00:00 AM
Common herbs and spices can help protect against certain chronic conditions, such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Next time you go to season your foods, try adding one of these flavors:
This spice has anti-inflammatory properties, it inhibits the growth of certain breast cancer cells and may protect against stomach and colon cancer.
It contains bone-building vitamin K and many antioxidants. Not to mention it can help fend off stomach flu. continue reading ...
Written by on 8/29/2014 5:00:00 AM
What you'll need: Yourself
Muscles worked: Abs and glutes
Get into a pushup position on the floor. Then, move the weight off of your hands and down onto your forearms. Your elbows should be directly under your shoulders at a 90-degree angle. Your body should be in a straight line from your head to your feet.
Be sure not to arch your back - it is important you keep your bottom down and flat. Squeeze your abs and glutes. Hold the position for at least 30 seconds. Your body may quiver, but stay tight and strong for as long as you can. Breathe in and out until your time is up!
You can get more ab-building workouts here.
Written by on 8/28/2014 6:15:00 PM
What better way to celebrate summer's end than with a cookout? But, you don't have to ditch your healthy eating habits to enjoy the festivities.
- Don’t show up to the event starving. You’ll be more likely to overeat.
- Don’t feel like you have to try a bite of everything. Go for your absolute favorites and skip the rest.
- Focus on filling at least half of your plate with fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Swap a white hamburger or hot dog bun for a whole-grain one. continue reading ...
Written by on 8/27/2014 6:00:00 AM
You have an impressive resume and years of experience, but aren’t being looked to at work for your expertise. Why? The answer is initiative.
Individuals that take initiative without being asked are seen as leaders. Initiative takers naturally expand their own influence and value by being willing to take on new tasks.
When they do this appropriately without elbowing or appearing overzealous, managers and peers seek them for their opinions and solutions. Speed your ascent to the top by taking more initiative. Before you know it, you'll be the office expert.
Written by on 8/25/2014 6:00:00 AM
How you spend your mornings impacts your entire day. It sets the tone for how you feel, how positive you are and how you handle the day’s challenges.
Here are five ways you can get your day started out on the right foot:
- Go for a walk, run or get in a short work out!
- Get up and get moving first thing in the morning at least three days per week. You’ll feel energized and be in a better mood for the remainder of your day.
- Fill your heart with gratitude. It’s easy to get caught up in the tasks ahead of you that day. Start your day by writing down five things you are grateful for. It only takes a few minutes and can significantly increase the positive vibes for the day. continue reading ...