If you have a fireplace, wood burning stove, or other heat source, place barriers around it to avoid accidental burns.
Inspect and clean chimneys and stovepipes regularly.
Have older homes tested for lead paint. Do not use baby and child care furniture and products made before 1978 that may contain lead paint.
Place "Mr. Yuk" stickers, or other types of poison markers on all hazardous items. Call your local poison control center for more information.
The first action when a person has ingested a toxic substance is to consult with the local poison control center at the universal telephone number in the United States - (800) 222-1222.
Never give a child younger than 8 years old a latex balloon to play with (due to the choking hazard).
Make certain plastic bags, broken pieces of toys, buttons, screws, and other choking or suffocation hazards are stored out of reach of children.
Post emergency telephone numbers near each telephone in your home.
When children are present, safety devices, such as gates, locks, and doorknob covers, should be in use at all stairways and exits in your home.
Make sure all indoor and outdoor stairways and entries are well-lighted and clear.
Make certain bathrooms and bedrooms can be unlocked from the outside.
Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children and disabled persons.
A home should have two unobstructed exits, in case of fires or other emergencies.
Check all electrical cords to make sure they are not cracked or frayed.
Make certain outlets or extension cords are not overloaded.
It is best not to use space heaters. If they are used, make sure they are in safe condition. Never plug them into an extension cord. Do not place them near drapes or furnishings.
Paint or wallpaper should not be chipping or peeling.
Keep purses, backpacks, and other portable storage bags out of a child's reach. They may contain medications, penknives, hard candies, or other items that may harm children.