Choosing a Rehabilitation Unit /CARF
Rehabilitation services are provided in many different places, including the following:
- acute care and rehabilitation hospitals
- subacute facilities
- long-term care facilities
- home health agencies
- inpatient rehabilitation centers
- outpatient rehabilitation centers
- community health settings
- private practice
- industrial health centers
- Veterans Affairs medical centers
- military health care centers
When investigating rehabilitation facilities and services, some general questions to ask include the following:
- Does my insurance company have a preferred rehabilitation provider that I must use to qualify for payment of services?
- What is the cost and will my insurance company cover all or part of the cost?
- How far away is the facility and what is the family visiting policy?
- What are the admission criteria?
- What are the qualifications of the facility? Is the facility accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)?
- Is the facility well maintained, clean, and safe?
- Has the facility handled treatment for this type of condition before?
- What are the staff's credentials?
- Is therapy scheduled every day? How many hours a day?
- What rehabilitation team members are available for treatment? How is the patient and family included in planning care?
- What type of patient and family education and support is available?
- Is there a physician on site 24 hours a day?
- How are emergencies handled?
- What type of discharge planning and assistance available?
- What can be done if care is unsatisfactory?
The Commission of Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) is a private, not-for-profit organization that accredits rehabilitation programs with the following services:
- adult day services
- assisted living
- behavioral health services
- medical rehabilitation
CARF helps to promote and assure standards of quality for these programs and focuses on optimal outcomes for persons served.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation