|Chlorpheniramine Dosage Table|
|Child's weight more than (pounds)||22||33||44||55||66||77||88||lbs.|
|Total amount (mg)||1||1Â½||2||2Â½||3||3Â½||4||mg|
|Liquid 2 mg/5 ml (tsp)||Â½||Â¾||1||1||1Â½||1Â½||2||tsp|
|Tablets 4 mg.||--||--||Â½||Â½||Â½||1||1||tablets|
Indications: For allergic reactions, nasal allergies, hives and itching.
- AGE LIMIT: For allergies, don't use under 1 year of age (Reason: it's a sedative). For colds, not recommended at any age (Reason: no proven benefits) and should be avoided if under 4 years old. Avoid multi-ingredient products in children under 6 years of age (Reason: FDA recommendations 10/2008).
- DOSAGE: Determine by finding child's weight in the top row of the dosage table
- ADULT DOSAGE: Â 4 mg. Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed
- 6-12 years DOSAGE: 8 mg long acting tablet every 12 hours as needed
- 12 years and older DOSAGE: 12 mg long acting tablet every 12 hours as needed
- Brompheniramine dosage is the same as chlorpheniramine dosage.
Author and Senior Reviewer: Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Content Set: Pediatric HouseCalls Online
Pediatric HouseCalls Online