Does this describe your symptoms?
- Discomfort (pain, burning or stinging) when passing urine
- May include urgency (can't wait) and frequency (passing small amounts) of urination
- All males with painful urination need to be examined and get testing to see if an infection is present.
Common Causes of Painful Urination
- Urinary Tract Infection: Urinary tract infections (e.g., bladder infection, prostatitis) are the most common cause of painful urination.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease: Sexually transmitted diseases (e.g., gonorrhea, chlamydia) can also cause painful urination. Most men with this type of infection will describe a clear-white to light yellow discharge from the penis. The two main organisms that can cause this are Gonnorhea and Chlamydia.
- In younger men, it is more likely that a sexually transmitted disease is causing the pain with urination. In older men, a bladder infection or prostatitis is more likely.
If not, see these topics
|Call 911 Now (you may need an ambulance) If|
|Call Your Doctor Now (night or day) If|
- You feel weak or very sick
- Unable to urinate (or only a few drops) and your bladder feels very full
- Severe pain
- Fever of 100.5° F (38.1° C) or higher
- Shaking chills
- Side (flank) or back pain is present
- Abdominal pain is present
- Pain or swelling in scrotum
- Have diabetes mellitus or a weakened immune system (e.g., HIV positive, cancer chemotherapy, chronic steroid treatment, splenectomy)
- Are bedridden (e.g., nursing home patient, stroke, chronic illness, recovering from surgery)
- Are a transplant patient (e.g., liver, heart, lung, kidney)
|Call Your Doctor Within 24 Hours (between 9 am and 4 pm) If|
- Blood in urine
- Pus (white, yellow) from end of penis
- All other men with painful urination
HOME CARE ADVICE FOR PAINFUL URINATION (pending talking with your doctor)
And remember, contact your doctor if you develop any of the "Call Your Doctor" symptoms.
- Fluids: Drink extra fluids (Reason: to produce a dilute, non-irritating urine).
- Call Your Doctor If:
Disclaimer: This information is not intended be a substitute for professional medical advice. It is provided for educational purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Author and Senior Reviewer: David A. Thompson, M.D.
Last Reviewed: 1/19/2009
Last Revised: 4/5/2008
Content Set: Adult HouseCalls Online
Portions Copyright 2000-2009 Self Care Decisions LLC; Copyright LMS, Inc.