Life's Journey: Choices in Care
Is chronic illness a part of your life? If so, you have choices in your symptom management.
- Do you (or a family member) have one or more chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, lung disease or cancer?
- Do you have persistent symptoms associated with your illness that disrupt your day and prevent you from living the quality of life you desire?
- Are you frequently calling your doctor or making trips to the hospital because of your chronic illness?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may benefit from Life's Journey.
Whether you’re 25 or 95, dealing with a debilitating, chronic disease is challenging and may prevent you from getting the most out of each day and ultimately, decreasing your quality of life. Now, through a unique program, improved coordination of your care and better management of your symptoms is possible.
Taking Life's Journey: Chronic disease management from a patient's perspective
With the help of Life's Journey, Joe Hall has spent much less time in the hospital. "This is just a miracle," says his wife, Elaine, an inpatient coder at Community South.
"We were frequent fliers at the hospital," says Elaine Hall. Between March 2005 and May 2006, her husband, Joe, was an inpatient seven times and was in rehabilitation programs twice. He also visited the emergency room twice for treatment.
Print the full story of Joe and Elaine's journey >>
Providing choices in care
If you or someone you love is dealing with one or more illnesses and has difficulty managing the symptoms, pain and discomfort associated with such illnesses, it’s likely there are frequent doctor visits, trips to the ER or routine hospital admissions. Often, this creates a health care maze that is confusing, stressful and hard to follow. This is where Life's Journey can make a meaningful difference in how an illness is managed, so that you can get back to focusing on what’s important to you like time with your family or time spent on activities you enjoy.
Life's Journey is a support-based program intended for people facing complex symptoms, pain, psychological and spiritual issues. By partnering with your doctors and health care team, the Life’s Journey program can do many things, including:
- Support you in managing pain, symptoms, spiritual and social needs.
- Support you in making decisions about your care.
- Provide comfort for you and your family as you journey through life with your chronic disease.
- Coordinate communication between you, your doctors and other health care team members.
- Enhance your overall quality of life and satisfaction with your care.
Life's Journey team
The Life's Journey team, which will help with the coordination of your care, is led by medical director Dale Theobald, M.D., and associate medical director Thomas Ledyard, M.D. Dr. Theobald and his team are certified specialists in symptom management. The team will provide an experience that supports participants and their families as they journey in life with a chronic disease.
|Dale Theobald, M.D.
|Thomas Ledyard, M.D. |
Associate medical director
Participating in Life's Journey
The program is the most comprehensive of its kind in Indiana. If you or someone you know could benefit from Life's Journey, speak to your physician; you must be referred by your doctor. For more information, please call our referral line at 317-621-4900.